Posted on 1.24.2008
Load the up the cars, put away the tires and fold up the computer lap tops, January testing season at Daytona International Speedway is over. "Complete Coverage" and "View Live Web Cam"
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Load the up the cars, put away the tires and fold up the computer lap tops, January testing season at Daytona International Speedway is over.
NASCAR Nationwide Series teams wrapped up their fifth and final day of testing on Tuesday in preparation for the 50th annual Camping World 300 presented by Chevy on Saturday, Feb. 16.
Since January 4, Daytona International Speedway has hosted the Rolex Sports Car Series, the KONI Challenge Series, two waves of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series testing, the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series and the NASCAR Nationwide Series.
In all, DIS hosted 17 days of testing with four different Fan Fest events as teams and drivers prepare for the events surrounding DIRECTV Speedweeks 2008.
Having testing out of the way is a great feeling for drivers who can now focus on racing in their respective season-opening events.
Said David Reutimann, NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series driver: “It’s a whole different mentality. Testing is one mindset and racing is totally another. You look forward to going out there and racing. The testing can get a little monotonous but anytime you run around Daytona is cool. But after while, single-car runs, it wears on you a little bit. You are glad to get out here and come back and race.”
Daytona International Speedway takes a day off from on-track activity on Wednesday and will host Rolex 24 At Daytona practice and qualifying on Thursday as well as Fresh From Florida 200 KONI Challenge Series practice and qualifying.
On Friday, the Fresh From Florida 200 KONI Challenge Series race goes green at 2:15 p.m. and the 46th anniversary of the Rolex 24 At Daytona starts on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
Quotable: David Reutimann, a native of Zephyrhills, on racing at Daytona International Speedway: “It’s by far the biggest race. Needless to say, my guest list is pretty full when we come to Daytona. Everybody wants to come to Daytona anyway but the fact that I have the opportunity to race and I have a lot of friends and family that comes over makes for an exciting weekend.”
Fastest of the day: Cale Gale in the No. 77A Kevin Harvick Inc. Chevrolet was the fastest in the morning session of single-car runs with a speed of 179.917 mph.
Tickets: Race tickets for all DIRECTV Speedweeks 2008 events at Daytona International Speedway are available online at www.racetickets.com or by calling 1-800-PITSHOP.
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Morning speeds from NASCAR Nationwide Series testing in preparation for the Camping World 300 presented by Chevy:
1. 77A, Cale Gale, Chevrolet, 50.023, 179.917
2. 9A, Chase Miller, Dodge, 50.029, 179.896
3. 66R, Steve Wallace, Chevrolet, 50.132, 179.526
4. 29B, Scott Wimmer Chevrolet, 50.203, 179.272
5. 29A, Scott Wimmer, Chevrolet, 50.270, 179.033
6. 0A, Kertus Davis, Chevrolet, 50.407, 178.547
7. 64B, David Stremme, Chevrolet, 50.477, 178.299
8. 64J, David Stremme, Chevrolet, 50.504, 178.204
9. 10A, Brian Vickers, Toyota, 50.514, 178.168
10. 11A, Jason Keller, Chevrolet, 50.532, 178.105
11. 17A, Erik Darnell, Ford, 50.533, 178.101
12. 6A, David Ragan, Ford, 50.565, 177.989
13. 11B, Jason Keller, Chevrolet, 50.571, 177.968
14. 99A, David Reutimann, Toyota, 50.663, 177.644
15. 72A, D.J. Kennington, Dodge, 50.852, 176.984
16. 00A, Michael McDowell, Toyota, 50.965, 176.592
17. 6B, David Ragan, Ford, 51.032, 176.360
18. 52A, Donnie, Neuenberger, Ford, 51.515, 174.706
Tuesday afternoon speeds:
1. 64J, David Stremme, Chevrolet, 50.018, 179.935
2. 66R, Steve Wallace, Chevrolet, 50.037, 179.867
3. 0A, Kertus Davis, Chevrolet, 50.215, 179.229
4. 11A, Jason Keller, Chevrolet, 50.300, 178.926
5. 64B, David Stremme, Chevrolet, 50.629, 177.764
6. 9B, Chase Miller, Dodge, 50.634, 177.746
5.22.2018Daytona International Speedway creates special Chase Elliott ticket package for July 7 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Race.
5.16.2018Toby Keith, Chris Stapleton, Dierks Bentley, Sugarland, Billy Currington, Randy Houser, Tyler Farr and more perform at DAYTONA during Memorial Day Weekend.
5.7.2018Daytona International Speedway's 'NASCAR Day' celebration returns to the ticket and tours building on Friday, May 18
5.1.2018Longtime Daytona International Speedway employee Juanita ‘Lightnin’ Epton celebrates 60th service anniversary at ‘World Center of Racing'