DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The checkered flag, the sight every driver dreams of seeing first when they cross the start/finish line at Daytona International Speedway, has a new state-of-the-art home.
Race fans attending Hershey’s Milk & Milkshakes Speedweeks 2010 events will see the debut of the newly installed flagstand complete with a full-color LED display that will overlook the legendary tri-oval of the “World Center of Racing.”
The flagstand, made of structural steel and standing 22 feet tall from the race track, will see its first racing action beginning with this weekend’s Rolex 24 At Daytona GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series race and the Fresh From Florida 200 Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge.
Other interesting statistics behind the one-of-a-kind flagstand include:
• Approximately 60 square feet space at the top of flagstand for the starter
• Eighteen steps to climb to the top of flagstand
• The high resolution LED display is capable of showing race information, live video and replays as well as graphics and animations in 4.4 trillion colors.
• Impressive 49,920 pixel LED display that measures nearly four-feet tall and 22.5-feet wide.
• Two new light tubes featuring super-bright green, red and amber LEDs above the display will flash the flag colors and provide fans and drivers greater visibility of the racing conditions.
Tickets for all Hershey’s Milk & Milkshakes Speedweeks events, including the 52nd annual Daytona 500 on Sunday, Feb. 14, are available on your web-enabled phone at mobile.daytonainternationalspeedway.com, online at www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com or by calling 1-800-PITSHOP.