Week 20 Daytona Repave update: Superstretch work complete
The paving crew from Lane Construction putting down new asphalt in the pit exit area near the tri-oval.
Work on the Superstretch is finished with the paving of new asphalt now in place on the skid pad, apron and the existing chicane. This week, milling and paving is occurring in the apron in Turns 3 and 4 and paving is moving forward on the pit exit area.
Here are the other highlights from the 20th week of the Daytona Repave:
• The reinstallation of the catch fence in Turns 1 and 2 is ongoing
• Renovations to the Turn 4 tunnel including a new concrete driveway, stem wall and sidewalk now complete in the Turn 4 tunnel
• Reinstallation of the Musco lights in Turns 3 and 4 near completion
• The underdrain trench and fabric installation complete all around the track
• David Ragan, driver of the No. 6 UPS Ford for Roush Fenway Racing, drove a few laps on the new racing surface in a Ford Mustang on Tuesday
• DIS President Joie Chitwood will give the media an update on the Daytona Repave project this weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway during Ford Championship Weekend
About the Daytona Repave: Lane Construction, which repaved other ISC race tracks including Talladega Superspeedway, Homestead-Miami Speedway, Richmond International Raceway and Darlington Raceway, will use an estimated 50,000 tons of asphalt to repave more than 1.4 million square feet of Daytona International Speedway and has a target completion date of Jan. 1, 2011.
Speedweeks 2011 will kick off with the 49th annual Rolex 24 At Daytona GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series race on Jan. 29-30 and conclude with the 53rd annual Daytona 500 on Sunday, Feb. 20, the prestigious season-opening event to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
Race fans can view the progression of the historic repaving project from a section of the Oldfield Grandstands, which will open free to the public. Track tours are also available.
Daytona International Speedway also is posting updates on the project at www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/repave and on its social sites on Twitter (www.twitter.com/DISUpdates) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/daytonainternationalspeedway). For fans interested in purchasing pieces of asphalt, they can visit www.jostens.com/Daytona
For tickets and more information on Daytona International Speedway events, visit www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com or call 1-800-PITSHOP.
No Events Found