1994 Rolex 24 Overall Champion No. 76 Nissan 300ZX-Turbo Joins the 50th Anniversary Display
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The No. 76 Nissan 300ZX-Turbo that was driven to the overall win in the 1994 Rolex 24 At Daytona by Paul Gentilozzi, Scott Pruett, Butch Leitzinger and Steve Millen is the latest addition to the display of overall Rolex 24 championship cars to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the twice-around-the-clock challenge on January 28-29.
The No. 76 Nissan 300ZX-Turbo was steady throughout the 1994 Rolex 24 covering 707 laps, 2,516.92 miles and averaging 104.80 mph. Leading for all but 111 laps, including the final 427, the team’s margin of victory was a dominating 24 laps.
Entered as a partnership between Gentilozzi and Clayton Cunningham, the Nissan 300ZX-Turbo scored the first overall win in the Rolex 24 for a GT car since 1983 and the first win for a front-engine car since 1976.
“The biggest thing for me was the fact that we ran that race virtually problem free,” Pruett said of the 1994 victory, the first of his four – to date – triumphs in the prestigious sports car race. “We didn’t have an issue. That was probably the first time I ran that race that something didn’t happen to the car that we had to take care of.”
The No. 76 Nissan 300ZX-Turbo joins the field of historic championship cars in the display:
• The No. 96 Arciero Racing Lotus-Climax 19B from the inaugural Rolex 24 (then known as the Daytona Continental) in 1962
• 1966 Rolex 24-winning No. 98 Ford GT Mark II
• 1968 Rolex 24-winning Porsche 907
• 1969 Rolex 24-winning No. 6 Lola T70 Chevrolet
• 1970 Rolex 24-winning No. 2 Gulf Porsche 917
• 1977 Rolex 24-winning No. 43 Porsche 911 RSR
• 1981 Rolex 24-winning No. 9 Bob Garretson’s Style Auto Porsche 935
• 1982 Rolex 24-winning No. 18 JLP Porsche 935
• The Preston Henn Porsches from the 1983 and 1985 Rolex 24s
• 1984 Rolex 24-winning No. 00 Kreepy Krauly Porsche-March
• 1993 Rolex 24-winning No. 98 Eagle GTP
To view the complete list online, visit http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Vanity-Pages/50th-Rolex-24/50-Years-of-Champions-Display.aspx. Additional cars will be announced as they are secured to be part of this one-of-a-kind display.
The Rolex 24 At Daytona, the kick-off event to Speedweeks 2012 as well as the international motorsports calendar, showcases the world’s best drivers competing against each other lap after lap for 24 hours on Daytona International Speedway’s challenging and demanding 3.56-mile road course.
Tickets for the 50th anniversary of the Rolex 24 At Daytona are on sale online at www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com or by calling 1-800-PITSHOP.
No Events Found