1995 Rolex 24 Overall Champion No. 10 Kremer Porsche K8 Spyder Joins the 50th Anniversary Display
The No. 10 Kremer Porsche K8 Spyder, the overall winner of the 1995 Rolex 24 At Daytona.
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The No. 10 Kremer Porsche K8 Spyder, driven to the overall victory in the 1995 Rolex 24 At Daytona by Jurgen Lassig, Christophe Bouchut and Giovanni Lavaggi, will join the display of overall Rolex 24 championship cars in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the twice-around-the-clock challenge on January 28-29.
In the 1995 Rolex 24,with the turbocharged Le Mans World Sports Cars eligible to compete in the twice-around-the-clock challenge, the factory Kremer team made its return to Daytona for the first time since 1978 with a pair of Porsche K8s.
Despite a late rule change by IMSA that restricted the air intakes for the new Porsches, the No. 10 Kremer Porsche K8 Spyder covered 680 laps, 2,456.4 miles and averaged 102.289 mph on its way to a five-lap victory.
With the victory, Bouchut, who had won the 1993 24 Hours of Le Mans, earned the distinction of being the first driver ever to win both 24 hour races on the first attempt.
The No. 10 Kremer Porsche K8 Spyder joins the field of historic championship cars in the display:
• The No. 96 Arciero Racing Lotus-Climax 19B from the inaugural Rolex 24 (then known as the Daytona Continental) in 1962
• 1966 Rolex 24-winning No. 98 Ford GT Mark II
• 1968 Rolex 24-winning Porsche 907
• 1969 Rolex 24-winning No. 6 Lola T70 Chevrolet
• 1970 Rolex 24-winning No. 2 Gulf Porsche 917
• 1977 Rolex 24-winning No. 43 Porsche 911 RSR
• 1981 Rolex 24-winning No. 9 Bob Garretson’s Style Auto Porsche 935
• 1982 Rolex 24-winning No. 18 JLP Porsche 935
• The Preston Henn Porsches from the 1983 and 1985 Rolex 24s
• 1984 Rolex 24-winning No. 00 Kreepy Krauly Porsche-March
• 1993 Rolex 24-winning No. 98 Eagle GTP
• 1994 Rolex 24-winning No. 76 Nissan 300ZX-Turbo
To view the complete list online, visit http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Vanity-Pages/50th-Rolex-24/50-Years-of-Champions-Display.aspx. Additional cars will be announced as they are secured to be part of this one-of-a-kind display.
In addition to the 50th anniversary display during the Rolex 24 At Daytona, the championship cars will also be on display at the Rolex 50 Years of Champions, a charity gala on Thursday night, January 26th at the Ocean Center. Daytona International Speedway has partnered with the Halifax Health Foundation to host the event with the admissions proceeds benefiting the Halifax Health Foundation, which includes the area’s only Level II Trauma Center. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Halifax Health Foundation office at (386) 254-4111.
The Rolex 24 At Daytona, the kick-off event to Speedweeks 2012 as well as the international motorsports calendar, showcases the world’s best drivers competing against each other lap after lap for 24 hours on Daytona International Speedway’s challenging and demanding 3.56-mile road course.
Tickets for the 50th anniversary of the Rolex 24 At Daytona are on sale online at www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com or by calling 1-800-PITSHOP.
No Events Found