Where in the World are the 1972, 1979 and 1998 Rolex 24 At Daytona Overall Champion Cars?
Daytona International Speedway Enlists Help from Industry and Fans to Locate Three Former Overall Champions for 50 Years of Rolex
The 1972-winning Ferrari 312PB is among the three overall Rolex 24 champion cars that remain elusive.
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The effort to assemble the most unique collection of overall Rolex 24 At Daytona championship cars to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the twice-around-the-clock challenge on Jan. 28-29 is well underway and 25 cars have already been secured. However, the whereabouts of three legendary cars remains elusive and officials at Daytona International Speedway are turning to sports car fans, industry partners and media representatives to help locate these past champions.
The missing cars are:
• The 1998-winning Ferrari 333SP, driven by Gianpiero Moretti, Arie Luyendyk, Mauro Baldi and Didier Theys. It was Moretti’s first Rolex 24 win on his 15th attempt.
• The 1972-winning Ferrari 312PB driven by Mario Andretti and Jacky Ickx. Andretti and Ickx were able to win the race despite losing a cylinder.
• The 1979 Interscope Porsche driven by Hurley Haywood, Danny Ongais and Ted Field. The car delivered the fourth of Haywood’s five overall Rolex 24 wins.
An official hotline number (386) 681-5343 and e-mail Rolex24cars@daytonainternationalspeedway.com have been set up and those with information on the location of these cars are encouraged to contact the speedway.
Thus far, Daytona International Speedway has announced the following championship cars that will be part of this unique, one-of-a-kind display to celebrate the 50th Rolex 24 At Daytona:
• The No. 96 Arciero Racing Lotus-Climax 19B from the inaugural Rolex 24 (then known as the Daytona Continental) in 1962
• 1966 Rolex 24-winning No. 98 Ford GT Mark II
• 1968 Rolex 24-winning Porsche 907
• 1969 Rolex24-winning No. 6 Lola T70 Chevrolet
• 1970 Rolex 24-winning No. 2 Gulf Porsche 917
• 1977 Rolex 24-winning No. 43 Porsche 911 RSR
• 1981 Rolex 24-winning No. 9 Bob Garretson’s Style Auto Porsche 935
• 1982 Rolex 24-winning No. 18 JLP Porsche 935
• The Preston Henn Porsches from the 1983 and 1985 Rolex 24s
• 1984 Rolex 24-winning No. 00 Kreepy Krauly Porsche-March
• 1993 Rolex 24-winning No. 98 Eagle GTP
• 1994 Rolex 24-winning No. 76 Nissan 300ZX-Turbo
Additional cars will be announced as part of this one-of-a-kind display.
The Rolex 24 At Daytona, the kick-off event to Speedweeks 2012 as well as the international motorsports calendar, showcases the world’s best drivers competing against each other lap after lap for 24 hours on Daytona International Speedway’s challenging and demanding 3.56-mile road course.
Tickets for the 50th anniversary of the Rolex 24 At Daytona are on sale online at www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com or by calling 1-800-PITSHOP.
No Events Found