1996, 1997 and 1999 Rolex 24 Overall Champions Join 50th Anniversary Display
The No. 4 Doyle Racing Oldsmobile Aurora-powered Riley & Scott Mk III, winner of the 1996 Rolex 24 At Daytona
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – A trio of Riley & Scott Mk III cars that captured overall wins in the 1996, 1997 and 1999 Rolex 24 At Daytona will join the display of overall Rolex 24 championship cars to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the twice-around-the-clock challenge on Jan. 28-29.
The three Rolex 24 championship cars secured for the display are the No. 4 Doyle Racing Oldsmobile Aurora-powered Riley & Scott Mk III (1996 Rolex 24 winner), the No. 20 Dyson Racing Ford-powered Riley & Scott Mk III (1997 Rolex 24 winner) and the No. 20 Dyson Racing Ford-powered Riley & Scott (1999 Rolex 24 winner).
In the 1996 Rolex 24, the No. 4 Doyle Racing Oldsmobile Aurora-powered Riley & Scott Mk III with drivers Wayne Taylor, Scott Sharp and Jim Pace held off the No. 30 Momo Ferrari 333SP and “Mad Max” Papis in the final hour to win by the slim margin of 65.518 seconds.
Owner/driver Rob Dyson captured his two overall Rolex 24 triumphs in 1997 and 1999. In 1997, the No. 20 Dyson Racing entry with drivers Elliott Forbes-Robinson, John Schneider, Dyson, John Paul Jr., Butch Leitzinger, James Weaver and Andy Wallace won by one lap, 14.891 seconds over the Scandia Ferrari.
In 1999, with weather conditions constantly changing, the selection of dry or wet tires was critical in the No. 20 Dyson Ford’s victory over the Doyle-Risi Ferrari. With Wallace, Leitzinger and Forbes-Robinson behind the wheel, the No. 20 topped the Ferrari by two laps.
The trio of cars joins the field of historic championship cars in the display:
• The No. 96 Arciero Racing Lotus-Climax 19B from the inaugural Rolex 24 (then known as the Daytona Continental) in 1962
• 1966 Rolex 24-winning No. 98 Ford GT Mark II
• 1968 Rolex 24-winning Porsche 907
• 1969 Rolex 24-winning No. 6 Lola T70 Chevrolet
• 1970 Rolex 24-winning No. 2 Gulf Porsche 917
• 1977 Rolex 24-winning No. 43 Porsche 911 RSR
• 1978 Rolex 24-winning No. 99 Porsche 935
• 1981 Rolex 24-winning No. 9 Bob Garretson’s Style Auto Porsche 935
• 1982 Rolex 24-winning No. 18 JLP Porsche 935
• The Preston Henn Porsches from the 1983 and 1985 Rolex 24s
• 1984 Rolex 24-winning No. 00 Kreepy Krauly Porsche-March
• 1993 Rolex 24-winning No. 98 Eagle GTP
• 1994 Rolex 24-winning No. 76 Nissan 300ZX-Turbo
• 1995 Rolex 24-winning No. 10 Kremer Porsche K8 Spyder
To view the complete list online, visit http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Vanity-Pages/50th-Rolex-24/50-Years-of-Champions-Display.aspx. Additional cars will be announced as they are secured to be part of this one-of-a-kind display.
In addition to the 50th anniversary display during the Rolex 24 At Daytona, the championship cars will also be on display at the Rolex 50 Years of Champions, a charity gala on Thursday night, January 26th at the Ocean Center. Daytona International Speedway has partnered with the Halifax Health Foundation to host the event with the admissions proceeds benefiting the Halifax Health Foundation, which includes the area’s only Level II Trauma Center. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Halifax Health Foundation office at (386) 254-4111.
The Rolex 24 At Daytona, the kick-off event to Speedweeks 2012 as well as the international motorsports calendar, showcases the world’s best drivers competing against each other lap after lap for 24 hours on Daytona International Speedway’s challenging and demanding 3.56-mile road course.
Tickets for the 50th anniversary of the Rolex 24 At Daytona are on sale online at www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com or by calling 1-800-PITSHOP.
No Events Found