Daytona Beach and Road Course
1938-1947: 3.2-mile Daytona Beach and Road Course
1948-1960: 4.1-mile Daytona Beach and Road Course
World land speed record attempts had already made Daytona Beach the racing destination; however, when those attempts moved from Daytona to the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1935, the city sought to build a course to keep tourist interest.
The 3.2-mile track was designed by local race Sig Haugdahl while Bill France Sr. took over the job of promoting races on the course in 1938.
The 1937 DAYTONA 200 By Victory course ran approximately one and a half miles north on the beach; through a quarter-mile turn where the sand was banked, and then onto the paved, public roadway portion for the trip south. Coming back on the final turn, another high sand bank awaited riders as they raced on the hard sands of the beach.
The lap length in early events was 3.2 miles, but following World War II, a new course was used because of development along the beach. Organizers were forced to move the event further south, towards Ponce Inlet and extend the circuit to 4.1 miles.
After 1948, the course started on the pavement of highway A1A at 4511 South Atlantic Avenue, Ponce Inlet. It went south two miles parallel to the ocean on A1A to the end of the road, where the drivers accessed the beach at the south turn at the Beach Street approach, returned two miles north on the hard-packed beach surface, and returned to A1A at the north turn.
By 1953, the course was being outgrown by the large crowds attending events and countless racers bargaining for time on the course. In response, France proposed plans for a permanent home for motorsports in Daytona Beach, called the Daytona International Speedway.
In 1957, construction on Daytona International Speedway began, with completion in time for the 1959 DAYTONA 500. Motorcycles soon joined their stock-car brethren on the high banks as the final DAYTONA 200 By Victory was held on the Daytona Beach Road Course in 1960.
Daytona International Speedway
1961-1963: 2-mile Daytona International Speedway/Infield Course
1964-1972: 3.81-mile Daytona International Speedway/Infield Course
1973-1975: 3.84-mile Daytona International Speedway/Infield Course
1976-1984: 3.87-mile Daytona International Speedway/Infield Course
1985-2004: 3.56-mile road course Daytona International Speedway/Infield Course
2004-2008: 2.95-mile Daytona International Speedway/Infield Course
2009-Present: 3.51-mile Daytona International Speedway/Infield Course
Since 1961, the DAYTONA 200 By Victory has been run at Daytona International Speedway. Although the venue has remained unchanged, the courses have varied quite dramatically in length over the events five-decade stay at the World Center of Racing.
After running a 3.56-mile layout for more than 20 years, concerns over speeds of the NASCAR Turns 1 and 2 brought about changes for the 2005 running. The track configuration was changed so motorcycles would run through a short link after passing the International Horseshoe, then run counterclockwise across the second horseshoe, before rejoining the track on the backstretch. Thus, NASCAR Turns 1 and 2 were eliminated from the race, taking a half-mile from the course.
In 2009, the DAYTONA 200 By Victory returned to the 3.51-mile Daytona International Speedway/Infield Course used in the Rolex 24 At DAYTONA.
2016 serves to mark another major milestone in the course history of the DAYTONA 200 By Victory. Although the 3.51-mile course will remain the same, the 2016 DAYTONA 200 By Victory will be run against the grand backdrop of the new Daytona International Speedway – the world’s first true motorsports stadium.
10.31.2018Get to know DIS Grounds Supervisor, Jason Griffeth!
10.17.2018What should you bring?
10.9.2018What is it like to the experience the DAYTONA 500 firsthand?
9.18.2018Get to know DIS Operations Supervisor, John Walter