Despite hosting thousands of races and welcoming millions of fans throughout its history, there's still plenty that most people don't know about the World Center of Racing -- even after 57 years! The renowned DAYTONA Tourologists gave us a few of their favorite insider facts that even the most knowledgeable race fans might not know!
1. The inaugural Rolex 24 At DAYTONA was actually just a three-hour, 82-lap race.
2. DIS is the largest lighted sports facility in North America, with over 2,000 lights installed since the first night race in 1998.
3. George W. Bush is the only person to have served as Grand Marshal for both the DAYTONA 500 and the Coke Zero 400 Powered By Coca-Cola.
4. The Pontiac Trans-Am is the most-used DAYTONA 500 Pace Car, having made 13 appearances in the Great American Race.
5. The Harley J. Earl DAYTONA 500 trophy is named for the General Motors designer who built the first-ever concept car, also known as the “Father of the Corvette” and served as NASCAR’s second commissioner.
6. Roy Ogletree established a Guinness world record for most miles traveled by Jet Ski in 24 hours, circling the lake for 900 laps or 1,080 miles during the Rolex 24 in 2009.
7. In 1982, Bobby Allison became the first and so far, only, driver to win the Sprint Unlimited, Daytona 500 and Coke Zero 400 Powered By Coca-Cola in the same season.
8. Two full Disneylands would fit inside Daytona International Speedway’s 180-acre infield.
9. A record six women qualified for the 2010 Lucas Oil 200 in the ARCA Racing Series at Daytona International Speedway.
10. You can see the Atlantic Ocean from the top rows of the 400 level of the new stadium.
How many of these did you know? What surprised you most? Let us know on Twitter and Facebook!
6.28.2018Top things for kids to do during Coke Zero Sugar 400 Weekend, July 5-7 2018!
6.28.2018Read up on these UNOH Fanzone tips before heading to DAYTONA during Coke Zero Sugar 400 Weekend!
6.27.2018Check out these historic U.S. military vehicles all weekend long!
6.20.2018See everything that goes into the fireworks show after the Coke Zero Sugar 400!