Posted on 1.24.2008
Load the up the cars, put away the tires and fold up the computer lap tops, January testing season at Daytona International Speedway is over. "Complete Coverage" and "View Live Web Cam"
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Load the up the cars, put away the tires and fold up the computer lap tops, January testing season at Daytona International Speedway is over.
NASCAR Nationwide Series teams wrapped up their fifth and final day of testing on Tuesday in preparation for the 50th annual Camping World 300 presented by Chevy on Saturday, Feb. 16.
Since January 4, Daytona International Speedway has hosted the Rolex Sports Car Series, the KONI Challenge Series, two waves of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series testing, the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series and the NASCAR Nationwide Series.
In all, DIS hosted 17 days of testing with four different Fan Fest events as teams and drivers prepare for the events surrounding DIRECTV Speedweeks 2008.
Having testing out of the way is a great feeling for drivers who can now focus on racing in their respective season-opening events.
Said David Reutimann, NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series driver: “It’s a whole different mentality. Testing is one mindset and racing is totally another. You look forward to going out there and racing. The testing can get a little monotonous but anytime you run around Daytona is cool. But after while, single-car runs, it wears on you a little bit. You are glad to get out here and come back and race.”
Daytona International Speedway takes a day off from on-track activity on Wednesday and will host Rolex 24 At Daytona practice and qualifying on Thursday as well as Fresh From Florida 200 KONI Challenge Series practice and qualifying.
On Friday, the Fresh From Florida 200 KONI Challenge Series race goes green at 2:15 p.m. and the 46th anniversary of the Rolex 24 At Daytona starts on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
Quotable: David Reutimann, a native of Zephyrhills, on racing at Daytona International Speedway: “It’s by far the biggest race. Needless to say, my guest list is pretty full when we come to Daytona. Everybody wants to come to Daytona anyway but the fact that I have the opportunity to race and I have a lot of friends and family that comes over makes for an exciting weekend.”
Fastest of the day: Cale Gale in the No. 77A Kevin Harvick Inc. Chevrolet was the fastest in the morning session of single-car runs with a speed of 179.917 mph.
Tickets: Race tickets for all DIRECTV Speedweeks 2008 events at Daytona International Speedway are available online at www.racetickets.com or by calling 1-800-PITSHOP.
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Morning speeds from NASCAR Nationwide Series testing in preparation for the Camping World 300 presented by Chevy:
1. 77A, Cale Gale, Chevrolet, 50.023, 179.917
2. 9A, Chase Miller, Dodge, 50.029, 179.896
3. 66R, Steve Wallace, Chevrolet, 50.132, 179.526
4. 29B, Scott Wimmer Chevrolet, 50.203, 179.272
5. 29A, Scott Wimmer, Chevrolet, 50.270, 179.033
6. 0A, Kertus Davis, Chevrolet, 50.407, 178.547
7. 64B, David Stremme, Chevrolet, 50.477, 178.299
8. 64J, David Stremme, Chevrolet, 50.504, 178.204
9. 10A, Brian Vickers, Toyota, 50.514, 178.168
10. 11A, Jason Keller, Chevrolet, 50.532, 178.105
11. 17A, Erik Darnell, Ford, 50.533, 178.101
12. 6A, David Ragan, Ford, 50.565, 177.989
13. 11B, Jason Keller, Chevrolet, 50.571, 177.968
14. 99A, David Reutimann, Toyota, 50.663, 177.644
15. 72A, D.J. Kennington, Dodge, 50.852, 176.984
16. 00A, Michael McDowell, Toyota, 50.965, 176.592
17. 6B, David Ragan, Ford, 51.032, 176.360
18. 52A, Donnie, Neuenberger, Ford, 51.515, 174.706
Tuesday afternoon speeds:
1. 64J, David Stremme, Chevrolet, 50.018, 179.935
2. 66R, Steve Wallace, Chevrolet, 50.037, 179.867
3. 0A, Kertus Davis, Chevrolet, 50.215, 179.229
4. 11A, Jason Keller, Chevrolet, 50.300, 178.926
5. 64B, David Stremme, Chevrolet, 50.629, 177.764
6. 9B, Chase Miller, Dodge, 50.634, 177.746
9.30.2020DAYTONA 500 to Open 2021 Season While Coke Zero Sugar 400 Again Serves as Cutoff Race for the PlayoffsDenny Hamlin Tries to Become First DAYTONA 500 Champion to Win Three Straight in The Great American Race
Intensity-Filled Coke Zero Sugar 400 Summer Classic set to be Final Event of Regular Season
After the DAYTONA 500, NASCAR’s Premier Series goes to Another Florida Venue, Homestead-Miami Speedway, as NASCAR Announces Full Cup Series 2021 Schedule
9.28.2020Aaron Lewis & Sully Erna The Voices Of Godsmack & Staind Come Together, Live & In Person, For The First Time In The American Drive-In Tour
One Of The First Live Rock Concert Drive-In Series Of 2020
Offers An Intimate, Unplugged & Side-By-Side Event
From Two Of Music’s Most Acclaimed Frontmen
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 23 AT DAYTONA INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY
Tickets On Sale Tomorrow, September 29 at Noon
9.24.2020Annual Magic of Lights™ Holiday Display Returns to Daytona International Speedway for a Safe and Comfortable Drive-through Experience
- Beginning Nov. 13, One Carload, One Price to Enjoy More Than A Million Lights
- Contactless Ticketing by Buying Tickets in Advance
- View Display From the Comfort and Safety of Your own Vehicle
- Portion of the Proceeds to Benefit the AdventHealth Foundation
9.11.2020Most Historic Motorcycle Road Race Set to Return in March of 2021