With the region’s largest fireworks display, Medal of Honor recipients, and more, there’s so many patriotic ties this Independence Day weekend at DAYTONA! This Coke Zero Sugar 400 weekend, celebrate together at the “World Center of Racing” with our nation’s heroes and check out historic military vehicles all weekend long inside UNOH Fanzone and around the facility!
1982 Chenowth Fast Attack Vehicle FAV
In 1982, the U.S. Army contracted with Chenowth off-road vehicles to provide 120 Dune Buggies to the 9th Infantry Division at Fort Lewis Washington. The Army needed a fast vehicle that could be used by special operations groups to go behind enemy lines and carry out secret missions. The Army took the basic dune buggies and modified them with M2 machine guns, TOW missiles, MK19 grenade launches, M16 rifles, M72 LAW and M60 machine guns. For 10 years these were used in West Germany, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and finally in Kuwait as part of Operation Desert Shield. Of the original 120 vehicles delivered to Fort Lewis, less than 20 still exist. Most are in museums but 10 are in private hands like this one.
1953 Dodge M43 ¾-ton 4×4 Ambulance
The M43 ambulance was produced from January 1951 to July 1954 by Dodge, totaling 4,396 units, and was used primarily in the Korean and Vietnam conflicts. The steel ambulance body incorporates the driver’s compartment and litter compartment into one extended unit. Two litter racks are provided on each side of the body (total of four) with a folding rear loading step. A heating and ventilating system is built into the body and two lights, a surgical light and a dome light, are provided in the roof of the litter area. The 230 cubic inch (3.8 L) straight-six cylinder, “L” head engine was derived from a 1930s era passenger vehicle engine and produced 78 hp @ 3200 rpm. A 4-speed transmission and a hi/low transfer case enabled speeds up to 55 mph. Fording modifications enabled the M43 to traverse water up to 5 feet in depth. All M43 ambulances had the swing-out spare tire mount on the driver’s side door.
This vehicle was specially made for the 101st Air Bourne. It was used primarily for long distance reconnaissance missions lasting up to 2 weeks long in the western deserts of Iraq during Desert Storm, where they were used to mark and identify enemy missile sites.
1943 Autocar M15A1 Halftrack
Designed to be driven on asphalt and concrete roads as well as dirt, this halftrack was built in March 1943. With a 5 man crew, it was deployed to Belgium during WWII. It could be fitted with several types of weapons including multiple M2 50 caliber machine guns. After serving in WWII, it saw duty during the Korean War. It was then shipped back to California where it was sold as government surplus to a museum. The current owner, Dave Thomas purchased the halftrack from the museum several years ago and performed a complete restoration to its current condition. This historic military vehicle has been proudly displayed in many parades and military shows.
1994 M-998 HUMVEE
Introduced in 1985 The High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) Also known as the HUMVEE, is a light, highly mobile, diesel-powered, four wheel drive vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission. It can be configured to become a troop carrier, armament carrier, s 250 shelter carrier, ambulance, tow missile carrier, and a scout vehicle. The Humvee is primarily used by the United States Armed Forces, but it is also used by numerous other countries and organizations and has even been adapted to civilian use.
1970 Ford M151A2 MUTT
In 1951 the U.S. Army’s Ordnance Truck Automotive Command began working with the Ford Motor Company to design and develop a replacement for earlier model Jeeps. Development proceeded through most of the Fifties and in 1960 the M151 went into service. While it bore a strong resemblance to its predecessors, the M151 MUTT (Military Utility Tactical Truck) was completely new under the skin, with a monocoque design that integrated the box frame rails into the sheet-steel body-structure.
In 1970 the M151 and subsequent variant the M151A were succeeded by the M151A2, the most advanced and refined of the M151 line. Several detail changes were made including new turn signal-blackout driving lights on rounded front fenders, but the most important development was its rear semi-trailing arm suspension, which replaced the demonstrably hazardous rear swing axles used in previous models. The new system gave a more comfortable ride and better overall handling on rough terrain, a major factor in adapting the model to much more specialized applications later on.
1987 AM General M998 Humvee
After the Vietnam War the U.S. Army underwent a modernization program, which included finding an all-terrain replacement for its tactical vehicles—from the ¼-ton M151 Mutt through the 1½-ton M561 Gama Goat—with the added capacity to carry the new TOW anti-tank missile. AM General, Chrysler Defense and Teledyne Continental all submitted prototypes, and in late 1982 the Army selected AM General’s design for production as the M998 high-mobility multipurpose wheeled vehicle, or HMMWV (universally referred to by service members as the Humvee). Production kicked off in April 1984 at AM General’s plant in Mishawaka, Indiana, and the first Humvees entered service in October 1985.
These vehicles and much more will be on display inside UNOH Fanzone Thursday, July 4 through Saturday, July 6.
See these historic machines, meet Medal of Honor recipients, and experience the patriotism of Independence Day weekend at the summer’s biggest celebration: the Coke Zero Sugar 400!